A few words about Church of Saint Nicolaos..
The church of Saint Nicolas is located in Limenas near the ancient Agora and the archaeological museum of Thassos. It has three aisles, vaulted basilica with dome, the only without “ginekonitis” (the place where women usually sit in the church). Built in 835 AD, sits on the ruins of an ancient church. The dome is covered with hagiographies and the date 1861 is engraved at the rim, which was the year the frescoes were created, all in poor condition today. In 2007, the coatings that were applied earlier were removed unearthing joints, many ancient parts and a ceramoplastic cross in the pediment. The entrance is in the exonarthex, which has been incorporated into the church lately. It is one of the oldest churches of Thassos.